Here is one last stack of debuts from the group at On The Scene in 2016. Congratulations to all of our 2016 debut authors, illustrators and author-illustrators, and here is to much future success for all. Cheers!
Congratulations to 2016 debut illustrator Lori Richmond on A HOP IS UP bounding onto shelves today!
Congratulations to 2016 picture book debut illustrator, Mary Uhles, on KOOKY CRUMBS: POEMS IN PRAISE OF DIZZY DAYS, out today!
And, you are invited to the launch party:
Wendy Martin’s picture book illustration debut THE STORY CIRCLE/ EL CÍRCULO DE CUENTOS is out today!
Wendy Martin in three scenes:
- She is the illustrator of THE STORY CIRCLE, written by Diane Gonzales Bertrand and published by Piñata Books (Arte Público Press), about a classroom of students who create their own storybooks to replace the ones lost because of a flood.
- THE STORY CIRCLE has themes of recovery from disaster, hope and imagination.
- Wendy’s love affair with art and illustration began at an early age. One of her earliest memories is of sitting with a pile of crayons and papers strewn around her proclaiming to her parents that someday everyone in the world would be looking at her art. In spite of her parents’ attempts to steer her toward a more practical choice, she never wanted to do anything else. She has since traded in her crayons for watercolor, pen and ink, and a computer.
A STORY CIRCLE is coming out in May 2016 from Piñata Books. Visit Wendy at
Mary Reaves Uhles in three scenes:
- She is the illustrator of THE LITTLE KIDS’ TABLE written by Mary Ann Riehle and published by Sleeping Bear Press. At one family’s holiday dinner chaos and hilarity reign at the kids’ table… but it doesn’t take long for the grown-ups to wish they were part of the fun too. She is also the illustrator of KOOKY CRUMBS, POEMS IN PRAISE OF DIZZY DAYS written by J. Patrick Lewis and to be published in January 2016 by Kane Miller Books, celebrating under-appreciated holidays like National Weatherman Day and Pancake Day.
- THE LITTLE KIDS’ TABLE includes themes of family, tradition, and never being too old to be silly. KOOKY CRUMBS is great for young readers learning about individual days of the week and months in the year.
- Mary grew up with a pencil in one hand and the reins of a horse in the other. Now she lives in Nashville, Tennessee with her family and a cat who eats like a horse. Although Mary doesn’t get to ride as much as she used to she still draws every day.
Find Mary at www.maryuhles.com and on Twitter @maryuhles. KOOKY CRUMBS will be available January 2016. THE LITTLE KIDS’ TABLE was published September 2015.
Every so often, publication dates get moved up–yes that’s up, as in earlier than expected. One of our debutantes had that privilege:
Mary Reaves Uhles illustrated THE LITTLE KIDS’ TABLE, written by Mary Ann McCabe Riehle and published by Sleeping Bear Press in September 2015. Congratulations Mary Reaves Uhles!
She’s also the illustrator of BEYOND THE GRAVE, an adventure series from Magic Wagon Press.